By Thomas Trumbly
My name is Thomas Trumbly and I am announcing my candidacy for Osage Congress.
I am the only son of Joe and Arlena Trumbly and the grandson of Levi Oscar Trumbly and Mary DeNoya. Levi Trumbly was the son of Andrew Trumbly and Mary Alexander and the grandson of Francis Trumbly and Augustine Capitaine and the grandson of James Alexander and Martha Smith. Mary DeNoya was the daughter of Joseph DeNoya and Theresa Morrissey and the granddaughter of Frank DeNoya and Mary Josephine Carpenter.
I am married to Anna Cosby-Trumbly. She is the daughter of Mike and Charlene Cosby, the granddaughter of Martha Mae Jones, the great granddaughter of Anna Gray and Jesse Earl Jones and the great-great granddaughter of Clarence and Jennie Gray and Tom Steele and Sarah Yellow Bird. We have one son, Thomas Trumbly, Jr.
I earned my Bachelor of Art in Political Science from Oklahoma City University with a minor in Criminal Justice. I was mentored by former Governor Nigh, former Attorney General Robert Henry and Chief Sylvester Tinker. For the past 20 years I’ve owned and operated my own small business as a U.S. Department of Defense sub-contractor and a commercial and residential painter. In 2002, I was the recipient of the Native American Small Business of the Year Award from the Oklahoma Native American Business Development Center.
I have over 30 years of experience and accomplishments, but that is not all that qualifies me to represent you. I have no agenda or pet projects motivating my campaign. Like many Osages, I am passionate about several projects, issues and initiatives facing the Osage Nation (strengthening sovereignty, water rights, cultural preservation, language, nature preservation, wind farm opposition, Osage quality of life), but I am running to be your tool to unlock your own being within our Nation.
Within that spirit, I want to make a few promises to you. If elected I promise to:
- Read all legislation thoroughly;
- Sponsor legislation, make motions, discuss, vote and actively fulfill my role as a congressman;
- Recognize the names of the contributing members of bills if they so choose to be recognized;
- Follow the Constitution and help keep or change anything that is detrimental to the members of the Nation;
- Continue to be active in the community attending events and supporting projects;
- Help restore strong cultural beliefs and philosophies by any member, no matter who they are or where they live, to maintain strong bonds;
- Support all endeavors to further generate a natural environment for our children and members with the strongest regard for past rights;
- If elected, I will be available to you, year-round.
It is my belief that, together, we can achieve greatness. Unsupported, disenfranchised, disconnected or disingenuous behaviors will thwart progress.
I’d love to get to hear from you. You can reach me by email, phone, like my page on Facebook, stop me in the grocery store or shake my hand at the next community event.