The Native American Journalists Association is committed to increasing the representation of Indigenous journalists in mainstream media.
One of the ways NAJA supports and empowers members is through the annual Native American Journalism Fellowship, which is open to current American Indian, Alaskan Native, Native Hawaiian and First Nations college students, undergraduate and graduate, pursuing media degrees. NAJF is an opportunity for students to deepen and broaden their reporting and multimedia skills while learning from tribal journalists and news industry professionals from across the country.
The deadline to apply is Feb. 28, 2019.
Selected fellows will build their reporting skills during an on-site immersion newsroom experience in Prior Lake, Minnesota, Sept. 12-19, 2019 in coordination with the 2019 National Native Media Conference. The conference will be held in association with the 2019 Native American Nutrition Conference where journalists and experts in food sovereignty, nutrition and health experts will convene to learn best practices for covering Indigenous issues and reporting on health in Native American communities. Fellows will be encouraged to report on relevant program content and explore deeper coverage post-conference in order to complete their fellowship requirements.
Fellows will also have the option of gaining three hours of upper-level internship credit through their respective universities and NAJA.
Selected student fellows may receive:
• Experience in an on-site immersion newsroom during the 2019 National Native Media Conference in Prior Lake, Minnesota Sept. 12-19, 2019.
• Personalized hands-on multimedia training, focused on the student's area of interest
• Professional NAJA mentor
• Resume Critiques
• Unique networking and career-building opportunities with members and recruiters from the mainstream, nonprofit and tribal media sectors
• Recommendations for internships, fellowships and media careers upon graduation
• Three hours of upper-level college credit (optional)
To apply, visit the NAJA website at https://najanewsroom.com/