Individual Assistance available for those impacted by recent storms


There now are a total of 10 declared counties for Individual Assistance as part of Oklahoma’s federal disaster declaration for severe storms, straight-line winds, tornadoes and flooding, that began May 7, 2019 and continuing.

Those counties are Canadian, Creek, Logan, Muskogee, Osage, Ottawa, Rogers, Tulsa, Wagoner, and Washington.

Affected residents and business owners in the designated counties may apply for disaster assistance by calling FEMA’s toll-free registration number, 800-621-FEMA (3362) or TTY 800- 462-7585. An application may also be completed online by going to

It is highly likely that residents of these counties will see FEMA personnel going door-to-door doing community outreach in an effort to contact survivors and communicating with them regarding their needs, providing registration information, and answering their questions.

Here are some important guidelines for flood survivors to Do and NOT Do!


  • Do file a claim with your insurance company.
  • Do register for FEMA disaster assistance. Register online at or by calling toll-free 800-621-3362 or TTY 800-462-7585. If you use 711 or VRS, you may call 800-621-3362.
  • Do know that FEMA grants may help pay for a temporary place to stay, make essential repairs or replace certain damaged contents.
  • Do inspect for structural damage before entering your home.
  • Do report flood damage to local officials.
  • Do throw away wet contents such as bedding, carpeting and furniture. These items may be a health hazard due to mold. If you need to keep a sample of damaged carpet or drywall for an inspector, it should be about 12 inches by 12 inches.  
  • Do take photographs of flood damage. The insurance company may want to see these.
  • Do keep recovery-related receipts. FEMA, SBA or the insurance company may want to see these.
  • Do submit a completed application for a low-interest disaster loan if you have been referred to the U.S. Small Business Administration (SBA). SBA low-interest disaster loans are available to businesses, private nonprofit organizations, homeowners and renters that have been impacted as a result of the disaster. Submitting the SBA application is necessary for FEMA to consider you for certain grants.                                                                 
  • Do remember that FEMA grants do not need to be repaid, are not taxed and do not affect other government benefits.


  • Don’t submit more than one registration per household. 
  • Don’t wait for visits from FEMA or insurance adjusters before cleaning up flood damage and starting repairs.
  • Don’t wait for an insurance settlement to register.
  • Don’t worry that federal disaster assistance is taking money away from someone else. FEMA provides assistance to all eligible applicants.
  • Don’t assume only homeowners can apply for help. Renters may qualify for assistance too.


Press Release

Original Publish Date: 2019-06-11 00:00:00


  • Osage News Staff

    Stories that are not primarily written by an Osage News staff member will have a “Osage News” byline. These stories include press releases and other community content that was drafted by someone externally but reviewed and approved for publication by Osage News. As an independent news organization, we strive to report news and information with fairness and balance. While being the official news organization of the Osage Nation, we base our news judgements on our loyalties to our readers and Osage citizens, and we are not directly beholden to the Executive, Legislative, or Judicial branches of the Osage Nation.